Local Wines Receive Top Awards out of Best Wines of U.S.A. and Mexico at The Toast of the Coast Wine Competition
Ramona, Calif. – March 2016 — The Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA) announced that 9 of its winery members received awards for a total of 25 wines from the annual The Toast of the Coast Wine Competition, including 7 wineries from Ramona, California; 1 from Escondido, California; and 1 from Poway, California.
Twenty-four judges sipped 694 wine entries on February 20-21 at the Del Mar Fairgrounds to select the award-winning wines. The competition awarded gold and silver medals along with the Double Gold Award, which is reserved for the finest wines deemed worthy by a four-judge panel consisting of one wine writer, one winemaker, one professional sommelier, and one wine marketer. In addition, Best Varietal and Best of Appellation Awards were given to the top performing wines in each varietal or blended category as merited.
“These awards highlight the quality of wines produced by the vineyards and wineries of the Ramona Valley region—a fast-growing supplier of superior wines,” said Micole Moore, president of the RVVA and the WineMaker at Ramona Ranch Vineyard and Winery.
Awards to RVVA Wineries
A Double Gold, Best Merlot, Best of Ramona Valley AVA; and Best Petite Verdot were awarded to Woof’n Rose Winery, Ramona, California.
Gold and/or Silver Awards were given to wines from:
- Cactus Star Vineyard at Scaredy Cat Ranch
- Castelli Family Vineyards
- Hatfield Creek Vineyards and Winery
- Highland Valley Vineyards
- Old Coach Vineyards
- Poppaea Vineyard
- Ramona Ranch Vineyard and Winery
- Turtle Rock Ridge Vineyard Winery
- Woof’n Rose Winery
Cactus Star Vineyard at Scaredy Cat Ranch; Ramona, Calif.
- Silver, 2013 Estate Meritage
- Silver, 2012 Estate Tempranillo
Castelli Family Vineyards; Ramona, Calif.
- Silver, 2013 Syrah, Estate
- Silver, 2014 Pinot Noir, Estate
- Silver, 2013 Sangiovese
Hatfield Creek Vineyards and Winery; Ramona, Calif.
- Gold, 2013 Petite Sirah, Estate
- Silver, 2013 Zinfandel, Estate
Highland Valley Vineyards; Escondido, Calif.
- Gold, 2013 Syrah
Old Coach Vineyards; Poway, Calif.
- Silver, 2012 The Firestorm Reserve, Estate Grown
- Silver, 2012 The Showdown Reserve, Estate Grown
- Silver, 2012 Petite Sirah Reserve, Estate Grown
- Silver, 2012 Sandy’s Syrah Reserve, Estate Grown
- Silver, 2012 The Peacemaker Reserve, Estate Grown
Poppaea Vineyard; Ramona, Calif.
- Silver, 2014 Barbera, Estate Grown
Ramona Ranch Winery; Ramona, Calif.
- Gold, 2013 Estate Tannat
- Gold, 2012 Sangiovese
- Silver, 2013 Montepulciano
- Silver, 2014 Tickled Pink
Turtle Rock Ridge Vineyard Winery; Ramona, Calif.
- Silver, 2013 Hello Beautiful
Woof’n Rose Winery; Ramona, Calif.
- Double gold, Best Merlot, Best of Ramona Valley AVA for their 2012 Merlot
- Gold, Best Petit Verdot, 2012 Petit Verdot
- Silver, 2012 Cabernet Franc
- Silver, 2012 Grenache Noir
- Silver, 2012 Eglantine
- Silver, 2011 Cabernet Franc, Reserve
About the Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA)
Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA) was founded in 2001 and dedicated “to promote, protect and enhance the Ramona Valley American Viticulture Area (AVA), our wines, vintners and community.” Largely responsible for securing the federally designated Ramona Valley American Viticulture Area (AVA) in 2006, the RVVA continues to focus on community, education, sustainable operation of vineyards and wineries, and taking a leadership role within the San Diego County wine grape industry.
Visit www.thetoastofthecoast.com for full results and more information about the 2016 San Diego County Fair and the Wine Festival.